Leonid Ivanovich Kubbel ( Russian : Леонид Иванович Куббель ) was a Russian composer of chess endgame studies and problems .
He Was born in Saint Petersburg at the end of 1891 gold Beginning of 1892  and died in the city Sami (Then called Expired Leningrad) is 18 April 1942. He Was christened Karl Artur Leonid , goal Amended His forenames to Leonid Ivanovich subsequent To the 1917 October Revolution. 
He composed more than 1500 endgame studies and problems , many of which were awarded first prize for their great beauty and original design. He is the one of the greatest of all endgame composers. He was a chemical engineer by profession.
Leonid’s brothers, Arvid and Evgeny, were also chess players. Arvid Kubbel was a strong over the board master , having played in the first four USSR chess championships, while Evgeny was himself an endgame composer. Both Leonid and Evgeny Kubbel died of starvation in 1942 during the Nazi siege of Leningrad , while Arvid was executed by the NKVD in 1938. 
by Leonid Kubbel
This is one of Leonid Kubbel’s many masterpieces. The Black a-pawn can not be stopped from promotion, after which the game would be lost for White; However, a subtle plan avoids defeat and checkmates the black king. Video analysis of this study can be found here on YouTube .
- 1. Nc6 !! (Threatens Nb4 +, blocking the a-pawn) Kxc6
- 2. Bf6 Kd5
- 3. d3 a2
- 4. c4 + Kc5 (4 …. dxc3 5.Bxc3 is a simple technical win)
- 5. Kb7! A1 = Q (if 5 … Kd6 or 5 … Kb4 then 6.Bxd4 stopping the pawn)
- 6. Be7 checkmate.
Works on Leonid Kubbel
- 25 ausgewählte Endspielstudien von Leonid Kubbel (German), Jan van Reek, 1996.
- Leonid Kubbel’s Chess Endgame Studies , TG Whitworth, 2004.
- Леонид Куббель (Russian), J. Vladimirowitsch and Y.Fokin, 1984.
- Biographical data on chess composers
- Magazine survey of endgame studies
- Jump up^ Gaige, Jeremy (1987). Chess Personalia, A Biobibliography . McFarland. p. 231. ISBN 0-7864-2353-6 . Gaige suggests that there is some evidence in support of 6 January 1892
- Jump up^ Biographical data Endgamestudy composers Archived2008-09-15 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Журнал о шахматах – здесь Вы найдете статьи, советы, рассказы о шахматах и шахматистах