Berthold Suhle (1 January 1837, Stolp , Province of Pomerania , now Poland – 26 January 1904, Germany ) was a German chess master.
Born in Stolp (Słupsk, then Kingdom of Prussia , now Poland), he studied philosophy, philology and nature in Berlin (1855-1857) and Bonn (1857-1859). 
He won a match with Bartolomeo Forlico (11.5: 9.5) at Venice 1858,  lost to Adolf Anderssen (+0 -5 = 2) at Cologne 1859  and (+13 -27 = 8) in Breslau from April to September 1859 won contre Bernhard von Guretzky-Cornitz (6 -1 = 3) at Berlin 1860  drew with Anderssen (3 -3 = 2) at Berlin, 1864,  and beat Philipp Hirschfeld (+ 7 -0 = 2) at Berlin 1865. 
He Was an author of Der Schachkongress zu London im Jahre 1862 nebst dem Schachkongresse zu Bristol im Jahre 1861 (Berlin, 1864, two units),  and wrote with Gustav Richard Neumann was well received book Die neueste Theory and Practice of Schachspiels seit dem Schachkongress zu New York iJ 1857. On the latiest chess theories.  He was also a co-editor of the Deutsche Schachzeitung . Suhle stopped playing to teach from 1877 to 1901, and was named a professor in 1895. 
- Jump up^ http://geb.uni-giessen.de/geb/volltexte/2008/6125/pdf/Koessler-Saage-Szymanski.pdf
- Jump up^ http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/winter30.html
- Jump up^ http://www.svkoblenz.de/downloads/Geschichte%20des%20SV%2003.doc
- Jump up^ http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~spin/chessmatches.html
- Jump up^ http://xoomer.alice.it/cserica/scacchi/storiascacchi/matches/1850-64.htm
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on 2006-04-14 . Retrieved 2011-12-05 .
- Jump up^ http://www.antikbuch24.de/buchdetails_382943.html
- Jump up^ http://www.ballo.de/1844-1945,_b.htm
- Jump up^ The Steinitz Papers, Part IV: Biographical Notes, p.309