César Muñoz Vicuña (Guayaquil 1929- ibid 2000) was an Ecuadorian chess master . An amateur, he was an engineer by profession.  
He played for Ecuador at first board in the fourth World Chess Championship at Reykjavik 1957 (+3 -6 = 4), where he beat Grandmaster Fridrik Olafsson , and in the 14th Chess Olympiad at Leipzig 1960 (+9 -3 = 7 ). The unknown Ecuadorian caused a sensation in the preliminaries of the Leipzig Olympiad when he beat Bobby Fischer . 
In 1962, he took second place, behind Olavo Yépez , in Pichincha (ECU-ch); And took seventh place at Quito 1969 (zonal; Eleazar Jiménez and Olavo Yépez Obando won). 
For a number of years he was chair of the Ecuadorean Sports Association, and the Complejo Deportivo Caesar Muñoz Vicuña was named after him. He died in 2000.
Notable chess games
- Bent Larsen vs. César Muñoz, Reykjavík 1957, 4th World Student Chess Championship, English, A15, 0-1
- Robert James Fischer vs. César Muñoz, Leipzig 1960, 14th Olympiad, Sicilian, Dragon, Yugoslav Attack, B77, 0-1
- Jump up^ http://elajedrezyaesdetodos.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html
- Jump up^ Short biography by Tim Krabbé (Dutch)
- Jump up^ OlimpBase :: the encyclopaedia of team chess
- Jump up^ Chessmetrics website ArchivedApril 14, 2006, at theWayback Machine.