Ludwig Schmitt (15 April 1902 – 1980) was a German chess master.
Schmitt was born in Augsburg (Bavaria) and later lived in Breslau , Prussian Silesia . He won the Silesian Chess Congress in 1927, 1933 and 1934, took 6th in 1930 ( Heinz Foerder won), and 5th place in 1939 ( Erich Weinitschkewon) in these events.  He was a Champion of Sachsen in 1929, 1932, 1933, and of Bayern in 1953. 
He Took 13th at Magdeburg 1927 ( DSB Congress , Rudolf Spielmann won),  tied for 8-10th at Brno 1931 ( Salo Flohr won),  Took 18th at Bad Aachen 1934 (2nd German Chess Championship , Carl Carls won )  tied for 5-7th at Bad Oeynhausen 1937 (4th GER-ch Georg Kieninger won),  tied for 12-14th at Bad Oeynhausen 1938 (5th GER-ch, Erich Eliskases won), [7 ]
After World War II , he took 16th at Augsburg 1946 ( Wolfgang Unzicker won),  shared 1st with Unzicker at Leipzig 1953 (15th GER-ch) and lost a play-off match for the title to him In January 1954. 
- Jump up^ Chess In Former German, Now Polish Territories – Fred Van Der VlietArchived2008-05-16 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ Inhoud
- Jump up^ magdeburgo
- Jump up^ Nice 1931 Archived2007-08-07 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ GER-ch 2nd Aachen 1934 Archived2010-12-15 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “Archived copy” . Archived from the original on 2009-12-10 . Retrieved 2010-02-09 .
- Jump up^ Amsterdam (NED-ch10th) 1938 Archived2010-12-15 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ 1946 Archived2007-09-27 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ http://www.schachverein-goerlitz.de/Turniere/Aeskulapturniere/Festschrift2003.pdf